The ancient Egyptians firmly believed in the eternal afterlife, therefore they developed a complex funerary cult that allowed them life after death. Learn more details and interesting facts about the funeral traditions in ancient Egypt, Mummification, and ancient Egyptian Mythology with Cairo Top Tours!
To live in the afterlife, the Egyptians believed that it was necessary to preserve the deceased through mummification, to allow the soul to live in the embalmed body. The dead were then provided with whatever could be useful to them after death, before delivering them forever to eternity with a series of elaborate funeral rituals.
These body conservation techniques, described in detail in the section dedicated to mummification, could be implemented by natural means, using simple sandy tombs in which natural mummification took place, or by embalming, which took place according to procedures still unknown.
The first mummies, from prehistoric times, were probably accidental. Mummification began under the 4th dynasty, with the development of artificial embalming techniques. The priests first removed all internal organs, except the heart, which would also have a key role in ultra-earthly life. Then the corpse was dried with natron and finally wrapped in linen bandages.
Special canopic jars guarded the internal organs of the dead. Intestines, stomach, liver, and lungs were placed in separate vessels, next to the coffin inside the tomb. Among the most valuable canopic vases are those found from the tomb of Tutankhamon, now preserved in the rooms of Tutankhamen in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.
A death mask was placed on the head of the mummy, to help the spirit of the deceased person to recognize his body.
All the masks of the mummies, from the splendid gilded specimens of the pharaohs to the more common ones in cartonnage, were idealized portraits of the dead.
The mummy was often buried, as well as with a large number of earthly objects, with funerary furnishings, including amulets, ritual figurines, and a model boat for transport to the afterlife.
Ceremonies and funeral rites:
At the funeral, relatives offered food, and the priests performed special rituals. These ceremonies were to protect the deceased on his journey to the afterlife, protecting him on his path.
For added support, ritual images and texts were placed on the body of the deceased or used to decorate the tomb.
The ritual of the opening of the mouth was performed before the burial since in this way the senses would be reactivated and the deceased could continue to live in the afterlife.
The "weighing of the heart" was the final stage in the journey to the afterlife. The deities presided over the ceremony to decide whether the dead deserved eternal life. The god Anubis weighed his heart with the feather of truth. If the heart was too heavy, it was given to the monster Ammut, which devoured it. Only in the case of equilibrium did the dead have the right to eternal life.
Learn more about Religion in ancient and modern in the Middle East when you Travel to Egypt through a variety of Egypt Classic Tours, Classic packages to Egypt, Egypt Travel Packages, Egypt day tours, Cairo day tours, and Cairo day tours from airport to visit the Egyptian museums and the various temples established to honor those deities of Egypt the cradle of civilizations, It's time to explore Egypt accompanied by our professional guides throughout your Luxor day tours, Aswan day tours as well as the private Budget tours to Egypt to see the achievements of the famous Pharaohs while enjoying Egypt Vacations and Egypt holiday packages and when you step on the foot of the only remaining monuments from the seven wonders of the world throughout the tour to Giza pyramids & the Sphinx, The Egyptian Museum tour, Valley of Kings, Coptic Cairo Tour and Islamic Cairo trip as well as Karnak Temple and all the wonders when you plan your tours to Egypt.
Try a Day Trip to Luxor from Sharm El Sheikh from our selection of Sharm El Sheikh Day Tours and Excursions
Our range of Hurghada Day Tours also did not miss a Luxor Day Tours from Hurghada or 2 Days Trip to Luxor from Hurghada
Luxor Day Trip from Dahab by Flight, Luxor Tour from Marsa Alam or indeed, if you want to pick from Egypt Day Tours in Taba by a Luxor Day Trip from Taba by Flight
And you can explore Aswan Day Tours, Sightseeing, and Excursions through the unique Aswan to Luxor Day Trip
Or from Egypt Travel Packages like:
Egypt Christmas and New Year Tours like a charming 5 Days Cairo and Luxor Holiday during the Christmas
5-Days Cairo and Alexandria Tour Package
5 Days Cairo and Luxor Vacation
Egypt Luxury Customized Tours to Cairo & Nile Cruise Luxury Tour
Or you can enjoy one of our Egypt Nile Cruise Tours such as:
- MS Semiramis II Nile Cruise Luxor to Aswan.
- 5 Days MS Mayfair Nile Cruise Luxor to Aswan.
- MS Farah Nile Cruise Egypt.
- MS Concerto Nile Cruise.
- 5 Days Mövenpick MS Royal Lotus Nile Cruise.
- 4 Days Sonesta St. George Nile Cruise.
- MS Mayfair Christmas Nile Cruise Tours.
- Xmas and New Year Nile Cruises.
- 5 Days Nile Cruise Tour from Luxor to Aswan.
- The Best Nile Cruise Tours.
- 4 Days Nile River Cruise from Aswan To Luxor.
- Movenpick Prince Abbas Lake Nasser Cruise.
- Lake Nasser cruises 2020.
- Aswan to Luxor Nile Cruise.
- Steigenberger Minerva Nile Cruise.
- Movenpick Royal Lily Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan.
- Egypt Nile Cruises.
- Nile Cruise Aswan to Luxor.
- MS Nile Dolphin Nile Cruise from Aswan to Luxor.
- MS Amoura Dahabiya Nile Cruise.
- Dahabiya Nile Cruise Luxor to Aswan.
- MS Semiramis II Nile Cruise.
- Luxor to Aswan Nile Cruise.
- Steigenberger Omar El Khayam Lake Nasser Cruise.
- MS Mayfair Nile Cruise.
- Luxor Aswan Nile Cruise.
- MS Concerto Nile Cruise in Luxor.
- MS Farah Nile Cruise.
- Movenpick MS Royal Lotus.
- Egypt Nile Cruise Holidays 2020.
- Oberoi Zahra Nile Cruise.
- Sonesta St. George Nile Cruise.
- Egypt Nile River Cruise Holidays.
- Sonesta MS Moon Goddess Nile Cruise.
- MS Amwaj living stone Nile Cruise.
- Nile Cruise Luxor Aswan.
- Ms Esplanade Nile Cruise.
- Luxury Nile Cruise Aswan to Luxor.
- Movenpick MS Royal Lily Nile Cruise from Aswan to Luxor.
- MS Royal Princess Egypt Nile River Cruise.
- Nile Cruise Aswan Luxor.
- MS Steigenberger Legacy Nile Cruise.
- Egypt Nile Cruise Luxor to Aswan.
- MS Tulip Nile Cruise.
- Aswan to Luxor Nile Cruise Egypt.
- MS Alexander the Great Nile Cruise.
- MS Al Jamila Nile cruise.
- Nile Cruise Egypt.
- MS Al Kahila Nile Cruise Luxor to Aswan.
- Nile Cruise Holiday.
- MS Oberoi Philae Nile Cruise.
- Luxury Nile Cruises.
- MS Blue Shadow Nile Cruise.
- Aswan to Luxor Nile River Cruise.
- Sonesta Amirat Dahabeya Nile Cruise.
- Dahabiya Cruise from Aswan to Luxor.
- Merit Dahabeya Nile Cruise.
- Merit Dahabiya Nile Cruise.
- MS Blue Shadow Nile Cruise Tours Luxor to Aswan.
- 4 Days MS Lofian Nile Cruise from Aswan to Luxor.
- Movenpick MS Darakum Nile Cruise Tours.
- Luxor Aswan Nile Cruises.
- MS Sunray Nile Cruise Aswan To Luxor.
- Special Offers Egypt Holidays.
- Egypt Hot Deals.